Sunday, June 9, 2013

Choosing the courses for next semester


I believe that it is natural for every single teenagers to have worries about their future plan, especially if the ‘future’ is not so far away. This ‘natural phenomenon’ occurred upon me this week, as I had to make difficult choices that would decide how I would live the next semester. Choosing the courses for next week definitely was a hard job for me, and was also a great chance for me to think deeply about how I should spend the remaining two and a half years in this school.

On Monday afternoon, the list of courses I can take next semester was posted in the school website. Frankly, as I first took a look at the list with little expectation, I was extremely amazed to find out that I, as many other students, was given so many attractive choices. There were so many courses that looked so interesting and fun, and there were also a lot of courses that were directly or indirectly related to my dream. In a matter of fact, the first thought that came upon me was ‘It would definitely be a very painful job for me to choose among these choices.’, which came into reality in the next few days.

As some people might know, my dream is to be an expert in environment who studies about ways to reduce the amount of energy spent by buildings and city systems. Therefore, I am interested in fields related to this, such as environmental science, physics, and chemistry, and I also feel a need to study these subjects more deeply. This made me feel a great motive to choose courses like ‘AP Physics B’, ‘Advanced Physics’, ‘AP Chemistry’, ‘AP Environmental Science’, and ‘SAT Biology’. Not only that, my pure interest to particular subjects like ‘AP Microeconomics’, ‘French Grammar’, ‘AP Statistics’, and so on. Unfortunately, it is impossible to take all these courses as the amount of time I can invest to study these subjects is limited. This meant that I had to make a choice by arranging these subjects in order of priority.

In order to do this, I had to invest time to ask some seniors for advice, read ‘Know How Do How’, and talk with my friends and parents. Therefore, I could get some knowledge about both advantages and disadvantages of most of these courses. Ironically however, having more information proved to make it harder for me to choose between the courses. All the courses seemed to be more attractive now that I knew the advantages of them. At the same time, I was afraid of making a choice as I was afraid of facing the disadvantages of it.

After spending some time wondering what courses I should take, I came upon the fact that I could also take most of the courses next year when I would be in 11th grade. This made my choice so easier. I finally came into a conclusion that I would spend this semester studying scientific subjects, as I had a goal of studying science more deeply. So, I selected ‘AP Physics B’, ‘AP Chemistry’, ‘AP Environmental Science’, and ‘Advanced Physics’. Of course, I still have two months left until the start of the next semester, which means that I still have time to think more carefully about the choices I have made and change them if necessary. I do really want to spend the next semester effectively and beneficially.

No comments:

Post a Comment