Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Oxford University


It would be good for me to firstly talk about going to Oxford University. Before I actually went there, I imagined that Oxford University would consist of old-fashioned buildings, a beautiful campus like many other universities in Korea and America. This imagination broke apart even before we arrived in the destination, when the tour guide told us that the university is composed of diverse colleges located independently in the city of Oxfordshire. Therefore, there wasn’t any ‘campus’ that I have imagined of, which disappointed me at first. Luckily however, I could easily become so excited to find out that Oxford was more beautiful than I imagined.

Just after arriving at the city of Oxfordshire.(This building is one of the oldest museum of U.K)
 
I don't exactly remember why I took this picture, but anyway, I'll post this here.
 
As I expected, there were a lot of beautiful old buildings, letting me imagine about what they would have looked like when they were first built. It is quite well-known that the university has a history of 1000 years, enhancing the human civilization by producing countless scholars who strived to deepen the knowledge of mankind. Scientists would have verified their hypothesis, and philosophers would have expressed their opinions freely throughout the history of Oxford. I came into thinking that this was the Great Britain could have the glory it had throughout its history, as the works of these scholars would have surely led to various technological and social advance. The buildings of the university looked so beautiful and meaningful for me now that I had these thoughts. Of course, there were also modern buildings which added to the beauty of the university.
 
I don't exactly remember where this picture was taken
 
This is a library.
 
Some parts of the movie 'Harry Potter' was filmed here.
 
I was also impressed by the system of the university. Oxford University was quite different from other universities that I knew of, most of which are located in Korea and America. Firstly, as I have mentioned, the university composes of colleges, and in order to enter Oxford, students should apply to a specific college. Secondly, Oxford has a tutorial system. Students have a tutorial class every time, and by doing the work that the tutor demands, students can improve their skills by great extent. This factor made me feel as if Oxford University has more interest to every individual student.
Trinity College

I might have mentioned earlier in this blog that I am planning to go abroad after I graduate from this school. Since I had that plan, I have only thought of going to a university in America, mainly for three reasons. First, I had more information about American universities. Second, I have experienced education system of America. Third, I have an American citizenship, which makes me feel at least a bit comfortable about America. However, by going to Oxford University, I came into thinking that planning to go to Great Britain for university might be a good choice too.
 
The city of Oxfordshire itself was also beautiful.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment